Monday, January 24, 2011


Wow, thanks you guys for all your wisdom! Especially Maren (you reaffirmed my gut feeling about his case) and those of you who personally underwent similar situations. The research is so controversial, and honestly each case is unique. Some children do fine without the surgery and others are very limited without it. Its a tough decision! But as of now,  here is what we have decided to do.

I have canceled his surgery for wednesday for two reasons. 1.We are all sick, and 2. I was feeling a little uneasy and unsure about it.

But I have rescheduled the surgery for March 3rd just to have a date on the calendar in case we decide to go ahead with it.

I am making Spencer an appointment with an Occupational Therapist at the recommendation of his pediatrician. They will evaluate him and see if his case is a probable speech hinderance, and go from there. He may have appropriate range of motion for speech, or he may be impaired. We just dont know.

So after he is evaluated at least I will be slightly more informed about what to do! The reasons I am apprehensive about surgery NOW, are that he has never had feeding troubles, and so far he has reached all his speech milestones, and is very verbal (says mama, dada, and babbles incessantly!). I just feel that if there is no evidence of this affecting him negatively - why do something so drastic to correct it?

Of course me may end up going through with the surgery. I am not opposed and completely trust modern medicine having been a surgical recipient myself twice in my teenage years. It has a place and is essential in some cases. Im just not sure if we should jump the gun in this case.

Soooo, we are going to go for the evaluation and then decide from there. Thanks again everyone. Ill let you know what we decide to do!


Matt and Kelly Woodland said...

You are such a caring and careful mommy, and it IS lucky to have so many friends in the medical profession for feedback on this one!
Like Krystle, my sister and I both were born toungue-tied, but unlike Krylste neither of us had it snipped and we are both just great-you have had me talk your ear off, so you know!
Either way, only you are his mommy, and only YOU know his abilities well enough.
On a side-note I am so sorry to hear you are all sick (boo!) and I hope you feel better soon love!

Shelley Beal said...

Sounds smart.

Lori said...

Hi Christy, Krystle's mom here. Also, Krystle's orthodontist found that with her being tongue tied her gum was receding in the back of her bottom teeth more than normally. So, there are other issues than just speech. The speech pathologist couldn't believe Trevor's speech improved with the surgery but it did automatically and it wasn't a lisp he had he couldn't pronounce the "r" he sounded like he was from New York. In 4th grade he had to leave his class and go to speech, he hated it every time and felt like he was in special ed. Kassidy also was tongue tied and we didn't catch hers until she was 5. Some tongue tie is worse than others so you have to take that into account. Looks and sounds like your little guy needs it and the younger the better. I think you are very smart to wait until everyone is healthy! Thanks for being a great friend for Krystle.

Sherry Bobbins said...

Good plan. Oh I miss Butters! I can't believe I did not take my camera to capture his cuteness last week :(