Monday, October 29, 2007

The crime spree continues...

As if beign scammed twice in one year wasn't enough...now I wake up this morning and find my car broken into! I was leaving for work at the usual time (4:40 am) in my usual physical state of wet hair, no makeup, squeezed like a sausage into casing (aka wearing a random pant suit)...when I see my car in the parking garage with a little note stuck in the door:

I tried to notify you around midnight when I noticed the broken window, however this is not your assigned space. Good Luck, xxxxx (security)

UMMM - so Im standing there amidst the broken glass peering at a GIANT HOLE cut in the passenger side window...realizing my ipod and all my electronic accessories have been lifted. Whats a girl to do? I went back inside and woke myhusband of course! (since these are the main reasons a girl acquires a husband in the first place!) He got out of bed all crazy and angerly walked out of the garage with me. And then we stood there together staring at the pile of rubble. I pretty much held outmy hand for Gabe's keys and explained that I HAD to leave for work and I could NOT drive my car anywhere NEAR the neighborhood I was going! So he agreed to swap me and take the VW in to get fixed. (Hes a good man.)

Right then our ever-valiant security guy peeled out his tires and raced over to us (conveniently blocking me in) and explained for about 20 pointless minutes how the break-ins are managements fault since they let go one of the security guards and now he has to patrol the ENTIRE area by himself all night. He also said 3 other cars were hit the same time as mine, and that break-ins were a regular highlite of our complex. FABULOUS. Eventually I did an 18 point turn in Gabe's truck and made my way to work 20 minutes late....thinking the worst of my day was over. ... . WRONG! It only got better!

So I arrive at work just as mom is rushing out the door and she casually mentions that 'the toilets arent working and to try the plunger' WELL...the kids are still off from school so I had a house full today. Thats a lot of bladders (amongst other things) that are apparently supposed to be held for 12 hours. Yeah right. Try telling the 5 year old to hold it! So a few hours go by and soon everyone is awake...and yes, needing the bathroom! So I call the parents and say, the shower is backed up, the toilets dont work, we need to call a plumber. And they say 'we will when we figure out how to pay for it!' At this point I was ready to write a check! We ended up calling their Godmother who knew a person who just happened to have a plummer. And he came over and made a lot of noise, woke up both babies, and demanded 65 dollars for his work. The toilets were flushing so I ran through the house looking for money. Thankfully an Aunt showed up and handled it. PERFECT. At least now I could worry about calling my Insurance about my car...

So apparently I have a $500.00 deductable. SO ill be paying for the repairs myself. WONDERFUL.

Gabe also found out that there are on average, 50 break-ins a week on our street. How is nobody catching these little criminals???? I thought UTC was a safe place to live. Ive never felt like I was going to get jumped or anything...and now Im scared to go out to my car alone in the dark morning! Im going to get a giant can of bear spray and handle the situation myself.
Ill let you all know how that goes. And what prison is like after Im arrested for it! IM SO FURIOUS!

7 comments:

The Cannons said...

That's totally crappy. When I learn better how to deal with the criminal element I will drop you a line. Hopefully Idaho policework translates well into SoCal policework. Best of luck with the insurance and everything. Oh yeah, I just remembered that my car got broken into my Sr. year of high school - $900 of stuff stolen and I had a $1000 deductible. Shaft! My condolences.

Scott

jayna said...

Tyler, as a native Cali boy, is tsk-tsking right now for the fact that you left valuable electronics in you car in a parking garage. But apparently nothing in parking garages are sacred anymore...not even our poor 1995 jeep cherokee that someone with skills and tools cut apart our first night in City Lights. So I guess the California Welcome Wagon has officially struck. Congrats.

Designing Woman said...

First of all, I love that pic of you and gabe (and your adorable engagement outfit)...and you poor thing! We will talk very very soon, our communication has been very sad recently and it must be remedied!

The Cannons said...

Getting your car broken into is the worst. You really feel violated. My whole car was stolen in lovely San Diego and found three days later. When I was in Salt Lake I too was leaving for work in the early dark hours and saw that there was glass broken everywhere and it was from my car. It too got broken into through the back seat window and they stole my broken cd player from my car. Lame I hate vandalism and theft so so much. Those people need to get a freaking job. I'm sorry dude.
Mitzi

lisa c. said...

I have recently started noticing that very phenomenon in the area. My roommates car got broken into as well, just down the street! Please let me know how your tactics work.

stadia said...

Christy in an attempt to bring humor to the situation here is a link for you.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/CaptStadia/babiesboxing.jpg

megan&steve said...

Christy,
Sounds like your security guard isn't doing his job, and might be the break-in theif. He said he needed more help so he didn't have to patrol the whole area himself, I wouldn't trust the guy. Stay Safe!