Tuesday, July 26, 2011

One week later...

Oh my what a week!

I have barely recovered from the exhaustive combo that was girls camp slash Spencer's sickness. Oh you read right....Spencer was sick AGAIN! My poor boy. As I sat blurry eyed, covered in vomit, holding my screaming delirious fevering toddler...I couldnt help but look at my growing belly and wonder: what in THE HELLS BELLS am I doing in this condition?????

Lets back up. Girls camp. It was great. A little exhausting due to the fact that I was commuting 30 minutes every morning and evening so that I could sleep at my moms and keep an eye on my kids when I could. My parents live just a short drive away from Camp Glenwood so they were watching my kids during the day while I was making crafts, doing skits, and singing songs entitled "I need a Man" with a bunch of teenagers. Overall the system was working. And then around day 2 we noticed Spencer was acting a little sickly. But he's cutting like a million teeth right now so we chalked it up to teething.

Well later that night he took a turn for the worse and ended up shaking, moaning, barfing, 103+ temp ON TYLENOL, and I was starting to wonder if Life flight would be involved. We were an hour away from civilization it was in the middle of the night, and I held him just HOPING he wouldnt have a febrile seizure. My dad gave him a blessing and then I just sat in teh rocking chair ALL NIGHT LONG! All the while knowing that in a few wee hours I would have to drive back to girls camp to drop off the groceries they needed for the day and also to tell them that I was leaving. Nobody had cell phone service (come to find out a few did, but I didn't have their cell numbers!) so I was feeling a little crazy.

When 8 am rolled around I handed Spencer off to my mom, ran to town and got the camp goods, drove 30 minutes to camp, dropped off stuff, had a little nervous breakdown in the camper including laughing in hysterics over some oil lamps which then turned into legitimate tears of self pity mingled with sleep deprivation....and then I drove the 30 minutes back to my parents house, called the pediatrician and got Spencer an appointment, loaded up the kids and drove another 1 1/2 hours back to Boise.

I went into the Drs office with my two crazy looking kids. My hair was up in a bun due to the vomit that had caught on more than a few strands. I had on ZERO makeup, and even more fun - Spencer had thrown up on my last clean outfit and I was forced to put BACK on my dirty camp clothes from two days earlier.  And for my final accessory: I had been awake for 24+ hours. Dark circles anyone?

Turns out spencer had a raging case of Coxsackie virus. Which is a fancy name for " I ATE POOP" apparently. Oh yes. thank you public swimming pools. Its a type of hand foot mouth disease that is generally really mild, but Spencer had the nasty throat infection with open blisters. Great. So a little zofran later coupled with a few tylenol suppositories...and he had finally calmed down enough to be forced fed syringes full of pedialyte. He was pretty dehydrated so we were trying to avoid the ER IV situation.

The day of madness continued when upon arriving home Gabe took off for his company summer party at the Hawks game, and left me home still covered in barf, still holding a sick baby, and still DELIRIOUS with lack of sleep!!! Finally he got home around 10 and I gave him Spencer, took a bath, and passed out for a solid 10 hours. It was bliss.

DONT ASK ME WHY. But it is just the way the universe works: When you have a big event that you have been working on for MONTHS in advance...inevitably you will end up covered in puke. Somehow....some way. I have survived to tell the tale. But only just barely.

And now, laugh hysterically with me will you? I have Brigittes HUGE ridiculous Circus Birthday party TOMORROW!!!! Lets just say if Brigitte wakes up with mad cow disease in the morning I wont be surprised....

The end.

9 comments:

Whitney said...

oh my heavens we just had the hand foot mouth disease here too. All my kid including my 4 month old got it. It was so stressful. My 3 year old had such a high fever she thought bees were chasing her in the middle of the night. It scared me to death. Even the boys I babysat got it so it hung around our house for 3+ weeks. So I feel for you!!! But I couldn't imagine having to do camp and being pregnant while dealing with it all. I hope everyone gets feeling better and that you have a good birthday party!!!

The Cannons said...

Oh man Christy that is terrible. Let me know if I can help you in you in any way tomorrow. I can help with whatever. Call me for real!

Emily said...

Oh, sweet girl- all I can say is- just get through the party and then sleep for a 100 hours so you can recover! i am so sorry!Doesn't it always happen though? Everything at once? Good luck with everything! We have to get together soon, I found a present for you that i'm dying to give you!!

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

oh man! that sounds terrible!!! i am so, so sorry!!!! i hope everyone stays healthy for the the circus birthday :) i am sure it will all go great! can't wait to see pics!!! :)

megan&steve said...

Wow, sickness, girls camp and lots of driving. Thank goodness you have a fun car to zip around in. Make it through the circus party and then check yourself into a day spa or a week spa.

Heather and Dave said...

That sounds insane. Sorry you had to go through all of that. Hopefully Spencer is doing better now and you can all enjoy the circus birthday! If you need any inspiration, just look at Brody's party from earlier this year: http://365miller.blogspot.com/2011/02/brodys-circus.html
Darling, huh? :)
Hang in there, it can only get better, right?? Fingers crossed for you!

Jana said...

You are my hero for getting through that with your sense of humor still intact! (That probably has something to do with how you got through it . . .)

The Woodlands said...

Oh no!! I am so sorry to hear that you have had a ridiculous week! You were cruising and had put so much work into Girls Camp, at least the YW had a great time, but poor, poor Spencer!
I hope Bridget's birthday turned out amazingly and that you are not still swimming in the sickies...
All our love,
Kel

Erin said...

oh my! you are always on your toes with your sickys. I am soooo glad girls camp went well. I have a few things i want to mail you that are girls camp related IF you want. Let me know. Post the circus party when you can, dying to see how that turned out.